Last year, I wrote a blog post on social connection. With hybrid and remote working the new post-pandemic normal, I shared the five things that we’re doing to increase social connection, celebrate our people, and stay mentally and physically fit.
One of those things was the launch of our giving back program, and this Pay It Forward Day, I’m incredibly proud to share the impact our people had in 2022. As a collective, we:
- held two BarbeCUREs in our Melbourne and Sydney offices
- ran a hybrid games night, along with a charity raffle
- packed 1,000 Buddy Boxes for children undergoing cancer treatment (which is the equivalent of $40,000 raised for early-career cancer researchers)
- donated $465 in ticket sales from our Tech Talks Australia Meetup
- Participated in Run Melbourne and ran for a cure
- held a charity bakeoff (and ate a lot of homemade treats)
- donated 16 boxes of non-perishable items used to build mini golf courses at our annual Company Update
- cooked for a cause in Melbourne and Sydney with our clients and partners
- ran a festive food drive, donating non-perishable food items and raising money for the virtual tree of goodness
…and donated $5,221.89 to those who need it most.
Additionally, I’m thrilled to announce the charities we’ll be supporting in 2023. And while we wish we could save the world, we look forward to supporting Headspace and Aspect Australia as our nominated charities for 2023.
Who are Headspace and Aspect Australia you ask?
Headspace is a youth mental health organisation providing early intervention mental health services to 12-25 year olds. Headspace focuses on mental health, physical health, alcohol and other drug services, and connects over 154 communities across Australia by providing online and phone counselling, vocational services, school presence and work and study services.
Aspect Australia (Autism Spectrum Australia) is a non for profit organisation and Australia’s largest autism-specific service provider, working with people of all ages on the autism spectrum to help realise their unique potential, deliver solutions and provide support to families, carers, friends and colleagues.
So, how are we giving back?
We’ll be providing support and donating funds through a combination of in person and virtual events, and sharing knowledge and awareness: think working bees, sporting events, fundraisers – and we must obviously include mini golf – it is a DiUS favourite after all!
Already, our people have walked 10,000 steps a day for eight days and raised $1,594 in support of children and adults on the Autism spectrum. And in just over a week, they’ll be hitting the pavement once again with Headspace as they collaborate with the global Darkness into Light event, which aims to raise awareness and hope in the global fight against suicide and self harm.
So, if you would like to join us and help provide life-saving services for those who need it most, join our team or raise awareness by sharing your own sunrise moment with friends and family.
We remain committed to giving back to the communities in which we live and work in 2023, and can’t wait to bring you along on the journey with us. Happy Pay It Forward Day from all of us here at DiUS!